Select Page

Domestic Partnerships

Attorneys Handling Domestic Partnerships In Beaverton and Surrounding Areas


Traditional marriage is not the only way to obtain the benefits of being married. Many unmarried couples (both heterosexual and same-sex couples) can achieve a domestic partnership under Oregon law, either through a “common law” domestic partnership or a “Declaration of Domestic Partnership.”To better understand your options in domestic partnerships and related divorce issues, make sure to work with an experienced Beaverton domestic partnership lawyer. At Helzer & Cromar LLP, we work with individuals and families of all backgrounds in a wide range of issues, including child custody, child support, property division, and other issues related to marriage and divorce.

We understand the sensitive nature of any legal issue that influences your family and your personal life. Our representation is built around consideration for your personal goals and best interests. Contact our firm for more information about how we can help.

Dividing Assets Of Couples Living Together Before Marriage

When you live with someone for a substantial period of time, you are likely to end up sharing property that, if you split up, will need to be divided fairly. In marriage, property is easily viewed as shared under the law, but in a domestic partnership, different rules apply.

The court will work to divide any property according to the intent of the couple in a domestic partnership. If the intent was to share the property, then the court will attempt to facilitate equitable division. If that was not the intent, then other arrangements will need to be made. In either case, spousal support or alimony is not typically part of any domestic partnership property division considerations.


Every case has unique circumstances to analyze, so make sure to work with an experienced attorney who can give you the dedication and personal attention you need. To schedule an appointment with our firm, contact us online or by telephone at (503) 626-2889.